Godman Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh has been declared guilty in the 2002 rape case and is facing up to seven years in jail. He has always been a name of controversies. A judgment on his 15-year-old case was passed yesterday and was declared guilty of molesting his own female follower. Here’s the story of how Ram Rahim rose to popularity, before landing in trouble.
Gurmeet’s evolution from birth to conviction:
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was born in a village in Ganganagar district of Rajasthan on August 15 1967. He was the only son born to Naseeb Kaur and Maghar Singh Sidhu, who was a landlord.
- Even though his parents were Sikh, he never adhered to any particular religious faith. At the age of 23, Gurmeet was conferred sainthood and made the head of the socio-spiritual group, Dera Sacha Sauda(DSS). He is the third chief to take control of Dera. He has a multi-faceted personality.
- He is married to Harjeet Kaur, with whom he has three daughters Charanpreet, Amarpreet, and Honeypreet and a son, Jasmeet Singh.
- In January last year, Ram Rahim received a degree of a doctorate from the University of World Record in London, thereby letting him have a “Dr.” in his name.
- In 2002, one of his female followers, in a letter addressed to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, accused Ram Rahim of raping her. Ram Rahim denied the allegations maintaining that he is “not fit to indulge in physical relationships”.
- The same year, he was accused of murdering Sirsa-based journalist Ram Chandern Chatrapati, who had written about the alleged illegal activities of the Dera.
- Ram Rahim Singh, again in 2002, was also accused of being involved in the murder of Dera manager Ranjit Singh.
- In 2007, he incurred the wrath of Sikhs, who accused him of dressing up like Sikh Guru Guru Gobind Singh. Later that year, he was attacked by a mob, which he escaped unhurt.
- Ram Rahim has also been accused of ordering the forcible castration of some 400 followers of the Dera. The CBI has recorded the statements of 10 alleged victims, which are being scrutinized for further case-related leads and evidence.
- Ram Rahim is one of the few VVIPs who enjoy Z+ security cover provided by the government of India. The Airport Authority of India has also listed him among dignitaries allowed to use reserved lounges at airports in the country.
- He has been recognized by the Guinness World Records for organizing campaigns for blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol screening. He has also earned a name for leading sanitation drives, blood donation camps, and other wellness events.
- Over the years, he has produced, sung and acted in multiple movies, for which he received a Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Award.
- Today, August 25, Ram Rahim was declared guilty in the 2002 rape case, and is facing up to seven years in jail.