No women’s sport has received as much love in recent times as the Indian women’s cricket team, riding a wave of consecutive wins. The team decimated rivals Pakistan by 95 runs in the ICC Women’s World Cup on Sunday, their third win in the tournament. While the entire team, captain Mithali Raj included, is the toast of all social platforms, Smriti Mandhana, the team’s left-handed opening batsman has been making her share of the headlines for her incredible batting streak.
Facts about Smriti Mandhana:
1. Smriti Mandhana was born in Mumbai, but her parents shifted to Sangli when she was just 2 years of age.
2. Her father takes care of her cricket program while her mother monitors the diet.
3. In 2013, she scored an unbeaten 224 off 150 balls in the West Zone Under-19 Tournament.
4. Made her Test debut in 2014 vs Australia, scoring 22 and 51 in the match.
5. In 2016, Mandhana was signed up for a one-year deal with Brisbane Heat for the Women’s Big Bash League.
6. Her maiden international hundred came against Australia in an ODI in 2016.
7. She was inspired to take up cricket after watching her brother play at the Maharashtra state Under-16s tournaments.
Sehwag even tweeted this once:
She is the first version of Smriti and is really special. Every Indian who loves sports will be proud of her. Wish her and the team the best https://t.co/RrjavFVLc0
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) June 30, 2017