Chester Bennington, the lead singer of rock band Linkin Park, was reported to have committed suicide on Thursday at his southern California home. According to sources Bennington, 41, had hung himself at his Palos Verdes home near Los Angeles. A Palos Verdes police spokesman could not confirm the report. But spokesman Greg Robinson said in a statement that officers had been dispatched to an address in Palos Verdes early on Thursday morning.
Chester leaves behind his second wife Talinda and six children. His bandmate and fellow frontman, Mike Shinoda, paid tribute to Chester just hours after the news broke.
The rapper and singer wrote: “Shocked and heartbroken, but it’s true. An official statement will come out as soon as we have one.”
Linkin Park were one of the seminal bands of the Noughties rap-metal movement, with their debut album, Hybrid Theory, considered to be a metal masterpiece. The band were in the middle of a world tour for their latest studio effort, One More Light, and had just wrapped up a European leg.
Their next date the band were scheduled was supposed to be was July 27 in Massachusetts. Linkin Park’s last concert date is believed to have been their date at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham, following their shows in London. Chester was one of the creative driving forces behind the Californian six-piece, who first rose to prominence alongside the likes of Limp Bizkit. The band first formed in 1996, but it was with 2000’s Hybrid Theory that they rose to prominence with hit-singles Crawling, One Step Closer, and In The End. The band have released seven albums to date, with the last being Once More Light, which came out in May of this year.
Shocked and heartbroken, but it's true. An official statement will come out as soon as we have one.
— Mike Shinoda (@mikeshinoda) July 20, 2017
- Chester Bennington, 41, hanged himself at his Palos Verdes home near Los Angeles on Thursday morning.
- Law enforcement officials say his body was found shortly before 9 am.
- The Linkin Park frontman had a history of drug and alcohol abuse.
- Bennington was married to his wife Talinda and is survived by his six children.
- His suicide came on the day of his late friend Chris Cornell’s birthday.
- He sang for the crowd of mourners at Cornell’s funeral after his suicide in May.
- Linkin Park was in the middle of a tour when news broke of his death.